Urban Surf is another CATS Sports Diversionary Scheme. It works just like the CATS Street Paddler scheme but uses Surfing as the sporting activity.
Urban Surf started in Bude as a pilot scheme in conjunction with Raven Surf School, and now works with ASI, the world’s leading provider of surfing education and accreditation programs. Urban Surf utilises the ASI Surf Wise Learn to Surf program.
Urban Surf is now being developed throughout Devon and Cornwall. This multi-agency initiative was developed by CATS in association with: –
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Raven Surf School and Harlyn Surf School (ASI Accredited)
- Budehaven Community School
- Lloyds TSB
- The BIG Lottery Fund
Click here to see the Urban Surf section of the Raven Surf School website to see how they helped Bude CATS develop this Sports Diversionary scheme
How does it work?
- CATS Branches work with multi-agency professionals like youth services, police, schools and local councils to target the right groups of young people and refer them onto the CATS Sports Diversionary scheme.
- The young people are invited to attend a surfing taster session. This allows them to see if they like the sport and want to ‘commit’ to an 8 – 10 week scheme.
- The scheme is often run during peak anti-social behaviour hours and delivers the ASI Surf Wise Learn to Surf programme
- CATS Urban Surf Sports Diversionary scheme helps young people develop their confidence, develop fitness, beach and sea safety knowledge, and of course, get into the surf and achieve a nationally recognised award.
- The young people are sign posted back into the community as volunteers.
- Some of the outcomes of a CATS Sports Diversionary scheme like Street Paddler include; improvements in behaviour, self esteem, self achievement and self confidence.
The CATS Urban Surf Sports Diversionary scheme has achieved the following status and we are very proud of it!
For more information about Urban Surf please contact CATS Head Office on 01288 488086 or via email@example.com